Sunday, January 4, 2015

Ham & White Cheddar Chowder.

My lovely aunt invited Kevin, Milo & I over a couple of nights ago for a delicious ham dinner including a giant doggie bag to take home! JACKPOT. All I could think about was split pea soup with ham. That subtlety and smoothness of the peas with the flavor burst of salt from the ham.. Ugh. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I had a grocery list written out ane ready to go the following day for my husband with all that I needed for dinner when he dropped a bomb on me; He didn't like split pea soup.WHAT?! And we're married?!
While I cursed him under my breath, I frantically started rummaging through my fridge and pantry trying to find things I could work with that he'd approve of. I found some white cheddar, potatoes, milk.. and then it clicked. Ham and white cheddar chowder. Boom.



4 medium russet potatoes, peeled & diced
2 cups cubed ham
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp butter
8 oz white cheddar cheese
1/2 chopped onion
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
2 cups water
2 cups milk
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional. I just have a mushroom addiction)
1/4 cup flour
salt, pepper & garlic to taste

1. Take your water, potatoes, mushrooms, bay leaves & onion and heat in a large pot over medium heat until the potatoes are cooked through (roughly 10-15 minutes).

2. While your potatoes are cooking, grab a medium sized sauce pan, melt your butter and then whisk in your flour. Gradually add your milk while continuing to whisk to avoid any clumps. Allow the mixture to come to a slow boil.

3. In the meantime, grate your cheese into a small bowl. Once your milk is boiling and has thickened, slowly stir in your cheese until it's all melted together. Remove your bay leaves from your potato pot and pour your cheese sauce in without draining the potatoes. You want to keep the water in there to thin out the soup a little.
4. Add in your ham and mixed veggies and continue to cook until the ham is hot and your veggies are cooked through. Season with your SPG & serve!


1 comment: